- 430 mL (1 3/4 cups) flour
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) toasted hazelnuts, ground
- 5 mL (1/2 tsp.) salt
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) cold butter, in pieces
- 30 mL (2 Tbsp.) cold vegetable shortening
- Sufficient quantity, ice water
- 1 hot Italian sausage, casing removed
- 4 green onions, sliced thinly
- 15 mL (1 Tbsp.) olive oil
- 284 g (10 oz) spinach leaves, cooked, excess moisture removed, chopped
- 250 mL (1 cup) milk
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 170 g (8 slices) Saputo sliced cheddar cheese, cut in strips
- 5 mL (1 tsp.) dried oregano
Start by making the crust. Combine the flour, ground hazelnuts and salt in a food processor. Add the butter and shortening and pulse about 20 times. The mixture should still be lumpy. With the machine running, add about 75 ml (1/3 cup) ice water, a little at a time, just until the dough forms a ball around the blade. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F).
In a saucepan, cook the sausage meat and onion in the oil, breaking up the pieces, until the meat is fully cooked and browned. Transfer to a bowl.
Add the spinach, milk, beaten eggs, cheese and oregano. Refrigerate.
Flour your work surface and roll out the dough to fit a 23 cm (9 in) pie plate. Line the dough with foil, cover with dried beans (or pie weights) and bake in the lower part of the oven for 15 minutes. Remove the crust from the oven and discard the foil and the beans.
Pour the filling into the pie shell. Return to the oven and bake 45 minutes or until a knife blade inserted in the middle comes out almost clean. Let the quiche rest on the counter 10 minutes before serving.
SuggestionThe quiche may be made with frozen spinach, in which case there’s no need to cook it again. Just defrost it and squeeze out the excess moisture.
You can prepare the quiche earlier in the day or even the day before. About 30 minutes before serving, heat it in a low oven along with the dinner plates. Foodies say that quiche should always be eaten warm, never piping hot.
All rights reserved © Saputo inc. 2010
* We recommend Selection and Irresistibles products.
Metro encourages moderation in the consumption of alcohol. The sale of alcoholic beverages, as prescribed by law, is restricted to adults only. And, please, don't drink and drive!